Hello Captains and welcome to RaceDay Week!
This will be your final update until RaceDay….. I have been getting a lot of last minute questions this week, so I am going to try and answer as best as I can in bullet fashion. If I miss anything please feel free to ask. I am here to help you.
- 22 Dragons will be running our event. They come highly recommended and we are excited to have them.
- On RaceDay morning, there will be a mandatory 7:30 Captain’s Meeting. Any last minute questions can be asked then. We will also provide a Captain’s packet. The packet will contain; a group waiver, race progression of heats, DB safety document, rules and regulation doc, schedule for the day and wrist bands.
- Waivers; YES we will have waivers! Of course we will have waivers! The insurance rep is working on it as we speak, and they will have it to us by tonight. Once they are released, you will receive them either by email, posted on the Captain’s website Update to download, and for sure a hard copy in your Captain’s packet. We will need it signed and returned by 8:30A.M Saturday.
Parking; I recommend asking Google; downtown parking Henry C. Chambers WaterFront Park and download a map. You can also use explorebeaufortsc.com to find a map. There will be a drop off only area curbside at Scott Street extension off of Bay Street, just past YoYo’s Soft
-Serve, and goes back along Saltus River Grill. Please do not linger. Get it done and move on. The drop off area can make it easier to get things to your tent.
Event Schedule; as I said, a Captain’s meeting will begin at 7:30 followed by Opening Ceremonies, and our first race/heat will begin at 8:30. There will be 3 heats. You should have your teammates there early to help decorate and set up, so you can partake in the beginning festivities. We will not be publishing anything on the website, so listen and pay attention to the announcer as you hear your team’s name called. We have a really good marshaling group, and I
will also be there to make sure you are ready to race.
- Tents; your tent will already be set up and waiting for you with your team’s name banner on it. Each team will have their own 10×10 tent. I do not have the layout yet. When I do, I will forward you a copy. DO NOT BRING ANY ADDITIONAL TENTS. We are booked this year in the park. WaterFront Park is limited for space, and they have staking rules.
- Footwear, PFD,s, & Wristbands; please no sandals or open toe shoes. We ask this for your own safety. Get yourself a pair of water shoes. It’s a water sport! If you have a pair of sneakers you do not mind getting wet, then wear them. We will provide life jackets and paddles, but if you have your own that is fine. Waist PFDs are permitted. No paddler will be permitted on a boat without a provided wrist band from the Captain’s Packet.
- Food; there will be 2 food vendors available; Rain-n-Bagels and Sunset Slush. WaterFront Park is surrounded by restaurants, but be mindful of your race times. Do not go wandering off without knowing when your next race time will be! I highly recommend what we do when we go to races. We set up a food list prior to the race. Each paddler signs up to bring something to eat/snack/drink/ice, etc. You could also order out and have it delivered.
- Speaking of drinking….. NO paddler will be permitted to paddle if intoxicated!!! Yes, with restaurants come bars, and there are a lot to choose from. So, “Don’t Drink & Paddle!”
- Practice Schedule; an updated practice schedule has been added to the Captain’s Update on the website. I do have one more slot open on Thursday & Friday at 4:30 if anyone is interested…….
- Reminders; here is a list of reminders regarding RaceDay.
- The race distance is 200 meters. We are checking on the tide times as we speak. Remember you are racing on Tidal waters. There will not be any floating docks. Wet -vs- Dry start is totally up to your team Captain. The Oarsman ALWAYS has control of the boat.
- 20 paddlers and a drummer. We will accept a minimum of 16 paddlers, but will not go any lower for safety reasons. Please try your best to fill your boat. If you find yourself needing a paddler or two, find me! I will make it happen!!
- Mandatory Practice for our local community teams. I know not all paddlers can make their designated time. Contact me and we will try to get you on another boat to get that practice time in.
- Each racing team must have a minimum of 8 women paddlers
- Each Cancer Survivor team must have a minimum of 8 Cancer Survivors
- Each Senior team paddlers must be 50 years and older. Drummer included
- There are no Covid restrictions in the City of Beaufort
- FUNDRAISE; please continue to fundraise! Our goal is $75,000. Let’s help these people in Beaufort County.
AND….. I leave you with this;
May the river rise up to meet you, May the wind be always at your back!
May the Sun shine warm upon your face, and pray to the rain god’s to stay away from my race!
RaceDay Teams Coordinator