Hello Captains and Paddlers!
May Day! May Day! May Day! Race Day is approaching fast…. Saturday, June 25th will be here before we know it! Race Day is a fun filled day! Besides the three races we run throughout the day, we have several other things going on.
We will start our day with a 7:30AM Captains meeting to review, follow up, make sure waivers have been signed, and any other questions you may have.
We will have a moving Carnation Ceremony for Cancer survivors and their families, a ten minute exercise warm-up to music by our very own, Jeff “T-Bone” Taylor from 104.9 The Surf. A Best Dressed Drummer Parade across the WaterFront Park stage to make us all smile at the great talents each team has to offer. AND…. I am just getting started Y’all.
Throughout the day, we will also give out awards for the Best Decorated Tent, Best T-Shirt Design, and Individual/Team Fundraising. Did I mention the top fundraising team will receive FREE team registration for next year’s race? Did I mention there will be a performance by the Charleston Taiko Drummers? They
are a “must see” entertaining group of people!
At the end of the day there will be medals awarded for race times, various categories, and top teams in each division. We like to try and wrap things up by 4:00PM, if possible. I may be biased, but I think we run a pretty smooth race!
For my teams traveling from out of town we have locked up two hotels so far. The Hampton Inn with a rate of $109/night, and the Holiday Inn with rates of $149 & $159 (depending on Queen or King). Please be sure to reference “DragonBoat Beaufort RaceDay” upon booking your room. Cut off dates to book are 5/25 for the Holiday Inn, and 6/3 for the Hampton Inn. Book them now because they will go fast. Beaufort is a huge tourist area for people to go on vacation.
Just to recap a few questions I have been asked by other teams:
- We will field a 20 member paddling team, one Drummer, and 2-3 alternates. We will allow a min of 16 paddlers on a boat. All paddlers must be 16 years and older.
- We provide one 10×10 tent (additional tents are not allowed due to Park staking restrictions), life jackets, paddles, and a Professional oarsman.
- There must be at least 8 women paddling in each race
- A (1) mandatory practice session for my local teams (starting Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of Race Day week), optional for the Out-of-Town Teams. Schedule to follow.
- Registration Fee; $1000 for Out-of-Town Teams, Local Community Teams, and Senior Division Teams. $800 for Cancer Survivor Teams. Fundraising is optional for the Out-of-Town Teams.
- Registration has been open since March and waiting for you; www.dragonboatraceday.com